Friday, May 7, 2010

Salt Of The Earth

12,5 x 12,5 cm
This morning my husband said we need to do something with these tomatoes. Then I thought, hmm. I can use them in this story.
A few years ago we made a trip to Lüneburger Heide, and spent the day painting and drawing. Later I painted two more paintings from there, and have more in mind. It's beautiful with the heather in bloom, the trees, beehives.
Last weekend we went to the city of Lüneburg and visited the old salt factory which is now a museum. The people there in the middle ages became rich from mining and processing the salt from the earth. They protected it with two moats and some guard towers. The salt was used as money, and was as valuable as gold.
Part of the processing required very hot ovens. We learned that they used wood from the surrounding trees until the land became quite bare. Then came the heather.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Wow, that's interesting. I really like the tomatoes in this.

Blog Archive

Followers