Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ode To Kluntje

33,5 x 18,5 cm
I came to Europe in my high school days, and saw marzipan for the first time.  When I moved here later, and wanted to take something special back to my children and grandchildren, I thought marzipan would be a good idea.  For me it was a treat, as well as a way to share my earlier trip.  No one liked it. 
However, they discovered the stash of Kluntje I had taken with me for my tea.  Big sugar crystals.  Big hit.  So now I take boxes of it every time I go.  I don't know if Kluntje is the best thing about Ostfriesland, but it's one of the wonderful things about Ostfriesland.

2 comments:

Virginia Floyd said...

One of the fun things about reading your blog is that I learn new fun things. Never heard of kluntje before now. I had to google it and read up on it.

When we lived in Iran, the people drank tea with sugar cubes. You put the cube in your mouth and drink the unsweetened tea. They loved the American sugar cubes because they were so perfectly square and elegant. Their sugar came in large hard pieces that the hostess had to break into lumps and put the lumps in a bowl.

Love all these beautiful blues on the dishes!

Caladh said...

Thankyou,
It's fun to hear your stories too, Virginia. A couple of weeks ago some boys were here and put about four Kluntjes each in their mouths and drank tea (that had Kluntje in it). It's not the proper custom, but they had fun.
We seem to like blue on dishes.
:-)

Blog Archive

Followers