Saturday, November 8, 2008

Heart and Soul

"The kitchen is the heart of the home." I always thought so, but there have been times I wanted to hide the kitchen that might have a sinkful of dirty dishes, and busy (or messy?) counters. It's not so easy to keep it presentable, when there's a lot going on there, and everywhere else.
I really do miss having five busy, spirited children running around. It's supposed to be easier to keep the kitchen clean now, but when my husband and I began talking about plans for our new kitchen, I was still a bit concerned about having it so exposed. Did we really want people to be able to see into the kitchen from the front door? It's the tail end of the kitchen, but then if they come into the house, and go into the front room, they go through the kitchen. And there it is in all its glory. (The sink happens to be tucked into a not so visible corner.) The alternatives would be to close off the rooms more than we wanted to.
Putting my beliefs to the test, and deciding to actually live the saying that the kitchen is the heart of the home, and actually be willing to invite people into the heart of our home, dirty dishes or no, we began the remodeling.
The walls are not straight, the floor slants towards the frontroom, which caused grief to the men putting in the countertops. But we love it! My husband and I both like to cook, whether together or by ourselves, and with the arrangement of our kitchen quite a few people can work comfortably with us.
We've spent enjoyable hours with those who have come for tea, a meal, and maybe to stay a night or two, and look forward to more. The kitchen is the heart of the home, with food for body and soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now all you need is four spirited grandchildren running around.... and their mama's kitchen is seen right from the front door too... you know how I feel about that one. ;)

Blog Archive

Followers