Saturday, November 13, 2010

Eggs

11,5 x 8,5 cm

I like the movie "Finding Forrester".    Forrester (Sean Connery) agreed to teach Jamal (Rob Brown) about writing.  Jamal sat down at the typewriter to write, but just sat.  Forrester asked him what he was doing, and Jamal answered, "I'm just thinking".  Forrester:  "No thinking - that comes later.  You must write your first draft with your heart.  You rewrite with your head.  The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!"
"Sometimes the simple rhythm of typing gets us from page one to page two."

My interpretation, translating it to painting, is that Sean Connery would tell me to paint with my heart.  Then refine (without suffocating what's painted).  The first key to painting is... to paint, not to think.
The simple rhythm of painting gets us from painting one to painting two. 

8 comments:

Virginia Floyd said...

What a great post!

I like your painting. The bowl is very interesting. Good job! I've been thinking about painting eggs, too. So don't be surprised.

Anonymous said...

I like your painting very much!
can you say to me why do you speak about Sean Connery? Do you know him?
(excuse me for curiosity)
Cath

Anonymous said...

I hasn't read that you speak about the film ! sorry

Caladh said...

Thanks Virginia. I won't be surprised then!

Caladh said...

Thank you Cath. I certainly wouldn't mind knowing Sean Connery.

Anonymous said...

oh oui ! j'imagine bien... quel bel homme et bon acteur dommage qu'il ai arrêté sa carrière.
bises-cath

Lorraine Shirkus said...

Finding Forrester is one of my most favorite movies! I always wished I had a mentor like him. And "don't think" has been my mantra for many years . . . but sometimes I forget. This is a nice painting, Caladh--
very delicate and sensitive with all the values so muted. I'm trying to learn to tone things down value-wise. Your post is such a good memory jog!

Caladh said...

Thank you Lorraine. I really like your paintings!

Blog Archive

Followers